Adjunct of Physics & Astronomy
Employment Type: Part-Time
Adjunct of Physics & Astronomy
St. Edward's UniversitySchool of Natural SciencesPhysics and AstronomyAdjunct PositionPosition
St. Edward's University invites applications for one adjunct position to teach one or potentially more physics and/or astronomy courses. The School of Natural Sciences routinely hires adjunct faculty to fill curricular needs on a part-time basis and maintains a pool of candidates for temporary part-time positions as the need arises. This position is continuously open and qualified persons will be selected to teach undergraduate courses as the need arises. Appointments are generally made on a semester-by-semester basis. Positions are renewable, contingent upon need and performance.Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include teaching one (likely PHYS 1305 and PHYS 2321) or possibly more of the following classes:
- PHYS 1305 Physics for Future Presidents: This course meets on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 11:00 am 12:15 pm. It is an introductory physics course for non-science majors. The content follows Richard Muller's Physics for Future Presidents text and provides the relevant physics results that can inform policy implications on societal issues. It is project-based.
- PHYS 2321 Electricity, Magnetism, and Optics: This course meets on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8 9:15 am. The topics include electric forces and fields; electrical energy and capacitance; current and resistance; direct current circuits; magnetism; induced voltages and inductance; alternating current circuits and electromagnetic waves; reflection and refraction of light; mirrors and lenses; wave optics; quantum physics; nuclear physics and energy.
- PHYS 2426 University Physics II: University Physics II is calculus-based covering electricity and magnetism. The teaching format is team-based and project-based.
- ASTR 1311 Astronomy: This course meets on Tuesday and Thursday from 5 6:15 pm and covers the ranges of topics typical in an introductory astronomy course.
- ASTR 1111 Astronomy Lab: There are two sections of the lab, one on Tuesday from 6:30 9:20 pm and the other at the same time on Thursday. This is the required lab section associated with the lab.
HOW TO APPLY
- Ph. D. or Master's degree in, physics, or a related discipline.
- Graduate level coursework of at least 18 hours in physics and/or astronomy is required. Courses on the transcript must be identified as physics and/or astronomy courses.
- Teaching experience is preferred.
- Successful candidate must complete an employment and/or criminal background check.
Interested applicants should submit an online application at; https://stedwards.applicantpro.com
. Please include resume, cover letter, and three employment references
. No Calls Please. Applications will not be considered if it is missing any of these three items.In your cover letter, please describe your lived experiences that prepare you to contribute to diversity and inclusion at St. Edward's University.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at; https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summaryOTHER ITEMS TO KNOWSponsorship:
We are not offering sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Reference #: J18141
About St. Edward's University
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
About Austin, Texas
Consistently ranked as one of the 'top metropolitan areas to live in,' by numerous independent media outlets, Austin attracts approximately 50 new residents a day and has been one of the nation's fasting growing cities. St. Edward's is in the heart of this thriving, entrepreneurial and cosmopolitan city, providing students, faculty and staff with opportunities to live, learn and grow in an environment that offers a wealth of resources and opportunities. In fact, Austin is home to 17 companies on the Inc. 5000 list and boasts 1.7 times the national average of startups. Additionally, as one of the world's great technology centers, Austin, sometimes referred to as 'Silicon Hills,' is home to technology heavyweights like Dell, National Instruments and Silicon Labs.
For more on the City of Austin's offerings, visit The Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit an online application at https://stedwards.applicantpro.com
Please include resume, cover letter, and three employment references. No Calls Please.
St. Edward's University is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply to our vacancies and hire only U.S. Citizens and documented workers. We do not offer sponsorship at this time.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Loading some great jobs for you...